Monday 7 February 2011

13. LCD Soundsystem - I Can Change





LCD Soundsytem are a somewhat of a unique musical beast. Everything about them shouldn’t work, but they do and thank God that this is the case. They have made us laugh, cry and dance our fucking arses off but here they are unfortunately making us cry. As you may or may not know, lead singer James Murphy divorced from his wife during the making of this third album after his wife tragically had a miscarriage (as written about brilliantly on Sound Of Silver's single Someone Great) and on this song as well as other moments in the album is a heartbroken ode to his beloved. I Can Change is more or less Murphy’s plead for her back telling her that “I Can Change/If it helps you fall in love.” Murphy is on top lyrical form once again etching out the post break up feelings of so many and the hardness that this time obviously had on his life. “Tell me a line/Make it easy for me/ Open your arms/Dance with me until I feel alright” The ability that LCD Soundsystem have of changing our mood as well as their own so frequently is so utterly spellbinding that you feel the whole journey with them, and hear, on the most personal of sentiments we feel so wrapped in his own life that we feel his pain first hand and we want to hold him and reassure that it’s going to be fine. The most personal song on the album and I think they deserve a round of applause for baring their souls so openly in front of us and creating a moment of sheer brilliance.


No comments:

Post a Comment